Friday, September 25, 2015

End of the Week Communication from Wawaloam School


Dear Wawaloam School Community,

Thank you to everyone who contributed to making our Kindergarten Open House such a great success. We are so fortunate to have such an involved and committed group of parents and guardians! As I shared, research shows that when families and schools work together, students have greater success. We welcome you at Wawaloam School as parters in the education of your child.

I said this last night and I will say it again, we have AMAZING teachers at Wawaloam School! I visit the classrooms daily, sometimes if I am lucky I get to visit more than once! I always think to myself how fortunate our students are to have exposure to the level of energy and excitement that Wawaloam teachers bring with them each day.

Yesterday, I had the chance to spend some time in the art room with Mrs. Millard's class. Mrs. Ray was beginning a lesson with the students reviewing how to draw a portrait. She had all of the students draw an oval and then helped them to recognize that eyes are really not the shape of a circle, but more the shape of an almond or a football. She went on to the nose and the mouth and then they talked about and observed the different colors that skin can be. She is working toward a project that will celebrate differences around the world and I was in the right place at the right time for the following pictures. I loved listening to this conversation which was truly a celebration of differences as students compared their tones together. Thank you Mrs. Ray for making art class so inspiring!


We are working so hard on following all of the school rules. An area of attention right now with our new Kindergarten friends is keeping our hands to ourselves. When I learn about issues that are happening, I try to think about how I can address these with the groups during the grade level meetings. I found a site that provides great, quick videos that focus on specific lessons and I thought I would put the link in my blog today so that we can also work together to reinforce this important school rule.



Thank you again for all of your support and keep the communication coming. Be sure to let us know about concerns BIG or SMALL so that we can work together to make every day the best day possible for all students! 

Hope to see you at the PTA meeting NEXT THURSDAY, October 1st! 6:30 Wawaloam Library

Have a great weekend, 
Melissa Marino
PICTURE DAY IS COMING SOON!



No comments:

Post a Comment